From A to Shay DVD
From Giant "A" and Y-6 types to diminutive Shays, the twilight of steam in the Pocahontas Region offered great diversity.
Back Cover View Exists - Click to View
First half of the program is devoted to the Norfolk & Western: Heavy coal on Blue Ridge, NRHS special including tripleheaded 4-8-0s (405,449, 475), Mountains, Pacific #578 wheeling mail and passenger along the Norton Branch, plus switchers and an elderly Y-3. See a "mixed" coal and passenger run, along with service facilities at Roanoke and Bluefield.
Next, study the wonderful Buffalo Creek & Gauley where small 2-8-0s hauled coal 18 miles out to a connection with the B&O. A railbus offered double daily service. Both winter and summer views are offered up through 1963.
...and SHAYS! Ely Thomas Lumber (later W.M. Ritter and Georgia Pacific) 3-truck Shay #2 switches the mill. Watch #19 ford Lilly Fork - without benefit of a bridge! Take a ride into the timber aboard #12 of the Elk River Coal & Lumber Co. Also viewed is Middle Fork #6, a Climax type. Actual sounds of most locos shown are heard during this Pocahontas Steam remembrance.
Award Value: 107 Points Earn points for free DVDs. Signup free.
|Runtime:||50 Mins ($0.43/min)|
|Aspect Ratio:||Full Screen|
|Region Code:||0 Worldwide NTSC|ITEM NOTES REGARDING THIS PRODUCER
- This producer chooses not to shrinkwrap most of their products. All the products we sell are brand new direct from the producer. We never sell used or second-hand products.
- Some of the videos from this producer may have been acquired from home movie or video equipment. Please understand that these DVDs may not look crystal clear on modern equipment. These DVDs are offered because of their historical significance.
- This producer uses "Litescribe" media and therefore the "printed" side is susceptible to fine scratches and fingerprints. Because there are flyers included in some of these products, the flyer has a tendency to leave a few fine scratches on the surface. This will not affect the playability of the DVD.
- Some of the covers used from this producer may not properly fit the DVD cases.
- This producer has been known to change the cover design, so the cover image you see here may differ from the actual product.